Recently, there is no doubt that the popularity of coconut oil has skyrocketed, and there is a great reason for that. Actually, there are at least 127 good reasons for it!
Coconut (C. Nucifera) is a part of the Arecaceae (Palmae) family and belongs to the subfamily Cocoideae. Its flesh is rich in healthy acids, and its composition of fat may vary depending on its processing process and type.
Namely, medium-chain saturated fatty acids are around 90% of its content, combined with a small portion of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids.
The human body easily digests, absorbs and uses medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFA’s), as they freely cross the blood-brain barrier in the unbound form, meaning that they may be used to promote neurological health and provide energy.
Virgin (unrefined) coconut oil is extremely useful, and at the same time, it is tasty, cheap, readily available, and entirely natural. Moreover, it has powerful health-promoting properties, such as:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antioxidant properties (prevents the formation of free radicals and the damage they cause)
- Anti-microbial/ Infection-fighting properties ( it effectively kills viruses, yeast, bacteria, protozoa, and parasites)
- It enhances the absorption of nutrients (it is easily digestible; and makes fat-based vitamins, like vitamin K, E, D, A, more available to the body)
- It is nontoxic to both, animals and humans
- Powerful anti-carcinogenic properties (inhibits the spread of cancer cells and boosts the immune system)
Therefore, this oil is absolutely remarkable for use in numerous cases.
Internal Health Problems
If taken internally, coconut oil prevents, alleviates and helps numerous health issues, as follows:
- Chronic and Adrenal Fatigue
- Diabetes – coconut oil prevents food cravings and stabilizes blood sugar levels
- Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchial Infections
- Asthma – in both, adults, and children
- Acid Reflux/ Indigestion – In this case, consume coconut oil after meals
- Mild Depression and Cognitive Disease –In this case, take coconut oil in combination with fish oil, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and other treatment methods
- Bowel function –gut infections, constipation, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)
- Cancer – Studies have demonstrated that coconut oil prevents breast and colon cancer
- Candida Albicans
- Allergies – seasonal hay fever
- Cholesterol – improves the ratio of HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) in individuals with high cholesterol levels
- Gas – The imbalance of bacteria in the gut often leads to foul gas. This oil has mild anti-microbial properties and thus re-establishes healthy gut flora
- Colds and Flues – Coconut oil has potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and is extremely useful in case of colds and flu
- Flaky, dry skin- Insufficient amounts of oil lead to dandruff and dry skin
- Poor Circulation – If you constantly feel cold or in the case, fo edema, particularly in the extremities, apply this oil to the skin in a circular motion towards the heart.
- Gallbladder Disease – Dietary oils raise the bile flow, which is beneficial in the case of gallbladder problems
- Kidney Disease and Stones – it is really helpful as it dissolves small stones in the kidneys
- H. pylori – In this case, take coconut oil orally.
- Epilepsy – Coconut oil may effectively reduce epileptic seizures
- Hemorrhoids – You should apply coconut oil externally or internally two times a day
Personal Hygiene and the Body
- Body Scrub – You should mix some salt and this oil, or you can add some other essential oil for a better smell as well, and rub your body. Afterward, wash the mixture off and your skin will be incredibly soft!
- Bruises – It reduces redness and swelling, and thus accelerates the healing process. Apply it directly to the bruise.
- Bug Bites – It accelerates the healing process, as it reduces the burning sensation, as well as itching. Therefore, apply it directly to the affected area.
- Dandruff – Oil secretion may be one of the most common causes of dandruff. Coconut oil reduces it, as well as it moisturizes the scalp and alleviates the dandruff symptoms.
- Burns – It promotes healing and prevents scars. Therefore, apply it immediately on the burn and continue using it until you solve the issue.
- Swimmers Ear – Mic coconut and garlic oil and pour a few drops in the ear and leave them for 10 minutes. Repeat this method twice or three times a day, and you will solve the problem in a few days.
- Skin Conditions – It provides relief in the case of eczema, dermatitis, and psoriasis.
- Wrinkle Prevention and reduction – rub some coconut oil on the wrinkles and sagging skin, and you will strengthen the connective tissues and rejuvenate the skin.
- Chapstick – Rub some coconut oil on your lips and it will soften them and protect them, as it has an SPF of about 4.
- After Shave – Coconut oil successfully heals the skin after shaving and does not clog the pores.
- Polishing Bronze – Rub some coconut oil onto a cotton towel and wipe down the statues in your home, in order to clean them and deepen the bronze color.
- Insect repellent – Mix peppermint extract and some coconut oil and rub the mixture over the exposed areas, in order to avoid insects.
- Seasoning cookware
- Oiling wood bowls and wood cutting boards
- Goo Gone – Mix baking soda and coconut oil in equal amounts in order to create a paste and apply it to the “sticky” area. Leave it thus for 1 minute and scrub it off with a sponge or with an older toothbrush.
- Make a soap – you can use this oil instead of other fats and make a natural homemade soup.
- Chewing Gum in Hair Remover –Rub a bit of coconut oil over the chewing gum stuck in your hair, leave it for half an hour and roll the gum between the fingertips.
- Polish Furniture – Mix some coconut oil with some lemon juice to polish the wood furniture in your home.
- Use it to clean and moisturize the leather products
- Seasoning animal hides drums.